TWO MONTHS PRIOR TO MOVING HOUSE:
- Sort through your belongings to reduce the number of things you move.
- Hold a garage sale or donate items you no longer need to charity.
- Arrange to purchase the packing supplies from us if you are going to do the packing yourself: boxes, packing material, tape, felt markers, and scissors.
- Save all moving receipts, because some moving expenses may be tax deductible.
- Place your legal, medical, financial, and insurance records in a safe and accessible place.
- Purchase insurance coverage for valuables to be moved.
ONE MONTH PRIOR TO MOVING HOUSE:
- Start packing items that aren't regularly used such as off-season clothes and decorations and items in storage areas (garage, attic, and closets).
- Make travel arrangements for your pets.
- Back up important computer fields to a disc or CD.
TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVING HOUSE:
- Contact your utility companies (gas, electric, water, telephone, and cable or satellite TV) and notify them of your move.
- Sign up for services at your new address.
- Call friends and family and recruit help for the moving day if necessary.
ONE WEEK BEFORE MOVING:
- Pick up items from the cleaners, repair shops, or friends.
- Pack a survival kit of clothes, medicines, special foods, and so on to carry you through the day after arrival in your new home.
- Finish packing all boxes minus what you'll need in the final week.
- Inform the post office of your upcoming move.
- Give notice to cancel your newspaper delivery.
THE DAY PRIOR TO MOVING HOUSE:
- Set aside moving materials, such as tape measure, pocket knife, and rope.
- Pad corners and stairways of house.
- Lay down old sheets in the entry and hallways to protect floor coverings.
- Remove hanging fixtures.
MOVING HOUSE DAY:
Carry with you:
- The keys to your new home.
- The telephone number of Safe N Sounds Storage.
- Cash, credit cards, and cheque books.
- Documentation related to the sale of your home.
- Your insurance policies and agent's phone number.
- Your current address book or personal planner.
- Prescription and non-prescription medicines.
- Enough clothing.
- Any important personal records and documents.
- Any items of great personal value to you that are virtually irreplaceable (for example, a photo album).
- Back-up copies of important computer files.
- Sheets and towels for the first night in your new home.
- Personal hygiene items ( for example, toothpaste, soap, razor).